• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Google Log In with Steam      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

[TUTORIAL] How to Block the Pinion MOTD Ad System

Pinion Ad Advertisement MOTD Message Day

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Benjamoose

Benjamoose

Om nom nom!

• Administrators
  • 1,384 posts

Posted January 13 2013 - 08:44 AM

Note: This will only block Pinion from connecting and showing you advertisements.

To skip the timer you will need to use the following content in your autoexec.cfg.

https://github.com/C...X/SourceProtect
If you do not have an autoexec.cfg, simply create one in a text editor.

Are you sick of waiting up to 20 seconds to close the MOTD, just to play on one of your favorite servers? Even when something as small as a map change happens?

Here's how to get rid of it! All you need to do, is copy and paste one little thing into your hosts file!

Just if case you don’t know, the Hosts file is where you can manually enter a hostname and an IP address pair, thereby bypassing the DNS server. This can be pretty useful in certain situations for blocking

Before we do anything at all, we need to make sure hidden files and folders are visible.
By default, you cannot see the hidden folders we want to access since they are system folders.

To show hidden folders in Windows 7, press the ALT key while in Explorer to bring up the File menu. Click on Tools and then Folder Options.

Posted Image

Click on the View tab and then click on the Show hidden files, folders, and drives bullet-point button under Hidden files and folders.

Posted Image

Once you have done this and have applied the changes, you can close these windows.

Now we can block Pinion! First of all, we want to open Notepad. But do not open it the normal way.
Go to Start, then in the Search box at the bottom type in Notepad. Once you see it in the results, right click it and click Run as Administrator like below.

Posted Image

Once Notepad is open, click File then Open. Once you have the Open explorer window active, click once in the navigation bar at the top and paste in the following line:

%systemroot%system32driversetc

You may see an empty folder. If this is the case, make sure that you have the dropdown in the bottom right corner, set to show All Files (*.*).

Posted Image

You should now see a file called hosts. Before continuing, right click on this file, click Properties.
On the properties window, you want to uncheck Read Only, otherwise we wont be able to edit the file or save it.

After clicking apply, click the hosts file and press open, to open it with Notepad.

You should see something like this:

Posted Image

After # ::1 localhost paste in the following line:

127.0.0.1 motd.pinion.gg

It should now look like this:

Posted Image

Once you have done this, you're done! Simple click File and Save (do not click Save As) to save all changes. Pinion should now be blocked!

Make sure to go back into Properties and recheck "Read Only" for your hosts file, to stop anyone from editing it!

Adapted from a tutorial by helpdeskgeek.com by Aseem.
http://helpdeskgeek....s-7-hosts-file/

Note: This will only block Pinion from connecting and showing you advertisements.

To skip the timer you will need to use the following content in your autoexec.cfg.

https://github.com/C...X/SourceProtect
If you do not have an autoexec.cfg, simply create one in a text editor.

dolphin.png

#2 DarkShadow6

DarkShadow6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted January 13 2013 - 09:41 AM

Useful, I'm sure. But I don't plan on using it, because I only come to the main TDC server :p
Signature%20New.png

#3 Peaches

Peaches

Advanced Member

• TDC Helper
  • 213 posts

Posted January 13 2013 - 09:53 AM

fucking best day of my life
my hero

pRWlDYY.jpg

#4 DarkShadow6

DarkShadow6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted January 13 2013 - 09:56 AM

As I said, useful to some :)
Signature%20New.png

#5 Nyaruko

Nyaruko

Advanced Member

• Server Supporter
  • 57 posts

Donator

Posted January 13 2013 - 10:10 AM

Thank you sooooo much
SOOOOOO $TONED MAN AW $HIT NIGGA HELLA MOTHA FUCKING 666 ODD FUTURE MAN BRO CHECK THIS OUT MY SWAG WITH THE WHAT WHOLE 666 420 $$$$ HOLLA HOLLA GET DOLLA SWED CASH FUCKING MARIJUANA CIGARETTES GANGSTA GANGSTA EAZY-E C.R.E.A.M. SO BAKED OFF OF THE BOBMARLEY GANJA 420 SHIT PURE OG KUUSSHHH LEGALIZE CRYSTAL WEED.
Spoiler

Steam: http://steamcommunit...raftianDisciple
Minecraft: Nyaruko_san
Terraria: Ralph (Lord of the Flies reenactment, hush)
Exbawx live: Konakona X3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users